Peterhouse is the oldest college in Cambridge founded in 1284 by Hugo de Balsham, Bishop of Ely, and it  remains on the same site close to the city centre just north of the Fitzwilliam Museum. Note that the name does not include ‘college’ and that it is the smallest of the university’s traditional colleges.

The image shown here is the view from Trumpington Street showing the arches under the college chapel which was constructed in 1628 and sits in the oldest part of the college. The architecture is a mixture of Gothic, Dutch and “Jacobethan” styles. Originally, there were formal gardens in the Elizabethan style but these have long since been replaced by a simple but immaculately-maintained lawn.




Leave a Comment


This site is protected by WP-CopyRightPro